MOMS is a national grassroots movement of mothers working to create a healthier, safer environment for our children. We engage in education, advocacy, and corporate campaigns aimed at eliminating the presence of toxic chemicals in our environment, our bodies, and our breast milk.
MOMS was founded in the spring of 2005 by four nursing mothers in response to the growing threat of toxic chemicals in human breast milk. We believe that breast milk is the best source of nutrition for our babies, and we want to keep it that way. Founded on the principle that mother’s milk should be free of harmful chemicals, MOMS works to reduce levels of harmful chemicals in our bodies and in the environment, by stopping the pollution at its source.
Since 2005 MOMS has played a critical role in the environmental health movement. Over the past several years our work has helped achieve some key victories. Here are some highlights:
- Passage of California Assembly bill 1108 in September 2007, which bans phthalates in products intended for children under the age of three.
- Announcement by Target Corporation in October 2007 that it would phase-out the use of PVC in its private label products and packaging.
- Publication of a seven-page article on phthalates and Bisphenol A in children’s products authored by Mary Brune of MOMS in the November/December 2007 issue of Mothering magazine.
- Release of the report Baby’s Toxic Bottle in February 2008, which revealed Bisphenol A leaching in the five leading brands of baby bottles.
- Airing of a PBS Now special on phthalates (airdate: March 21st, 2008), which featured a MOMS-organized toy-testing party and comments from MOMS’ Director, Mary Brune.
- In 2009, MOMS was honored by The Breast Cancer Fund or its involvement in efforts to ban cancer-causing chemicals.
MOMS is a program of Center for Environmental Health, a 501(c)3tax-exempt organization. Donations to MOMS are tax-deductible.
To donate by check, make checks payable to Center for Environmental Health (with MOMS in the memo area) and mail to:
MOMS c/o Center for Environmental Health
2201 Broadway, Suite 302
Oakland, CA 94612.
Or you can donate by credit card. Specify that you would like your donation directed toward the MOMS project.